As a certified mechanic with over 20 years of experience buying and selling used cars, I understand the importance of thoroughly researching a vehicle’s history before purchasing. There’s no better way to uncover a used car’s past than running a comprehensive VIN check.
In this guide, I’ll explain everything you need to know about VIN lookups in Arizona – how to locate the VIN, what useful information each digit reveals, the benefits of free vs paid reports, and how to use VIN reports to avoid buying a lemon. With the right VIN check, you’ll gain invaluable insights to make a worry-free used car purchase. Let’s get started!
What is a VIN?
VIN stands for vehicle identification number. The VIN is a unique 17-digit code assigned to every vehicle sold in the United States. It contains key information about the vehicle, including the make, model, model year, country of manufacturing, and more.
You can find the VIN in several locations on your vehicle:
- On the lower corner of the windshield on the driver’s side
- On a sticker inside the driver’s side door jamb
- On your vehicle registration and insurance documents
- Printed on the vehicle title
Having quick access to the VIN makes running a VIN check much easier. Just be sure to verify the VIN in multiple places on the vehicle to ensure it hasn’t been tampered with.
How Do You Find The VIN?
The VIN is typically located in a few places on a vehicle.
- It can be found under the front of the engine block, under the hood.
- Older cars tend to have the VIN on the front end of the frame.
- It can also be found on the driver’s side interior dash.
- Drivers side on the pillar door frame.
The VIN is also printed on vehicle registration documents like the title, insurance card or registration card. If you are having difficulty locating it on the vehicle, check these documents.
Why Should You Run an Arizona VIN Check?
Running an Arizona VIN check before purchasing a used vehicle is one of the smartest things you can do. Here are some of the key benefits:
Detect Accidents and Damage: A free VIN check reports any accidents, flood damage, hail damage, or other events that may have compromised the vehicle safety and structure. You’ll avoid vehicles prone to breakdowns or expensive repairs.
Verify Vehicle Specs: Confirm the year, make, model, engine, transmission and other specs match the seller’s claims. This protects you from odometer fraud or misrepresentation.
Check for Theft: Ensure the vehicle has clean title and was not reported stolen. This prevents legal headaches down the road if the car is impounded.
See Maintenance History: View service and repair records to understand how well the vehicle was maintained. This clues you in on potential issues.
Compare Market Value: Determine if the asking price is aligned with the vehicle’s history and condition based on fair market value data.
What Does an Arizona VIN Check Vehicle Report Show?
A VIN check report delivers a detailed vehicle history summary, including:
- Title Information: Salvage, rebuilt, flood, lemon and other red flag title types.
- Theft Records: Any reports of the vehicle being stolen.
- Accident History: Details on any collisions along with severity.
- Mileage Verification: Checks for odometer rollbacks or anomalies.
- Ownership History: Previous owners and locations where registered.
- Open Recalls: Safety recalls that still need to be addressed.
- Service Records: Available maintenance and repair records.
- Damage History: Reports of collision, flood, hail or vandalism damage.
- Vehicle Use: Indicates rental, fleet, taxi or other commercial use.
- Import Records: For imported vehicles, shows the original country.
Having all this vehicle history data enables you to make the most informed purchase decision possible.
Free vs Paid: What’s the Difference in Arizona VIN Reports?
You have two options for obtaining a VIN check report on a used car – free services and paid services. Here’s an overview:
Free VIN Checks
- Typically provide basic checks on theft databases and title brands only.
- Lack the full vehicle history details of paid reports.
- Useful for initial screening, but lack the depth needed for final purchase decision.
Paid VIN Reports
- Offer complete vehicle history reports with full details.
- Check over 16 billion records from across the US.
- Provide peace of mind with comprehensive data to make a purchase decision.
While free VIN checks have some benefits, most experts recommend opting for a paid, full vehicle history report from a reputable source, especially if buying a higher value vehicle.
How to Check a VIN Number in Arizona
Checking a VIN in Arizona only takes a few quick minutes. Here are the steps:
1. Gather the Full 17-Digit VIN
Locate the VIN on the vehicle in one of the places listed above. Double check that you have the complete VIN sequence.
2. Go to a VIN Check Provider Website
Use our site to get started on a VIN check report.
3. Enter the VIN
Type or paste the VIN into the search bar. Select the level of report you want.
4. Review Full Vehicle History
In just seconds you’ll have access to the complete vehicle history report right on your screen. Review all details.
Following these steps allows you to run an Arizona VIN check quickly and easily from anywhere.
Perform a VIN Lookup by License Plate in Arizona
Don’t have direct access to the vehicle or VIN right now? No problem – you can also perform an Arizona VIN lookup by license plate number here.
Simply enter the license plate and state on-site like Bumper to instantly retrieve the associated VIN. This allows you to gain access to a full vehicle history report through the VIN without needing to be near the vehicle itself. It’s a quick and convenient way to research any vehicle that you have the plate number for.
Why We’re the Best VIN Lookup Service
Here at Mechanic Answer, we provide instant access to the most complete Arizona VIN check reports available. With over 500 million VIN records available through our service, we empower used car buyers with the vehicle history details they need to avoid getting stuck with a lemon. Our fully searchable reports include:
- Clean, user-friendly delivery of results
- Nationwide market value data
- Easy online and mobile access
- Unlimited reports for one low price
- The latest title, accident, and ownership information
- Sample reports available for preview
We strive to give our customers peace of mind by equipping them with the facts to make a smart used car purchase. Learn more about our VIN lookup services and run an instant VIN check today.
The Bottom Line on VIN Checks in Arizona
Hopefully this guide has shown the immense value of running an Arizona VIN check before purchasing any used vehicle. Accessing the full vehicle history report enables you to avoid expensive problems and buy with confidence. Be sure to follow the steps listed above to check any VIN number and receive a thorough VIN check, your next used car purchase will be a total worry-free success!
And if you have any questions about this or vehicles feel free to use our online mechanic service.
Arizona VIN Lookup Frequently Asked Questions
How do I look up a VIN in Arizona?
You can look up a vehicle's VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) in Arizona using the Motor Vehicle Division's (MVD) VIN search tool on their website but the information will be basic, for a small paid fee you can unlock your vehicles entire history. All you need is the 17-digit VIN. This allows you to verify details before purchasing a used car.
Can I run a VIN number for free?
Yes, there are a few free VIN lookup options. Mechanic Answer offer a free VIN check that will show a the basic information on a vehicle. For a more comprehensive report, paid services like Mechanic Answer offer full VIN checks for a small fee.
How do I look up a car title in Arizona?
You can look up a vehicle's title records in Arizona using the Motor Vehicle Division's (MVD) title search. It requires the vehicle's license plate number or VIN. This search provides title information like the registered owner, lienholders, branding (salvage, rebuilt, etc.), and title issue and transfer history. It's useful when verifying title status before purchasing a used car.
Can I run my VIN to find car details?
Yes, running a VIN check is the best way to find detailed information about a car. Enter the 17-digit VIN into a vehicle history service like ours. It will provide a comprehensive report with data like accident history, number of previous owners, service records, odometer readings, lemon/salvage status and maintenance reminders. This gives you a better understanding of a used car before buying.